Current composition of the Australian Parliament (as of 24/9/2021)
House of Representatives:
- On 4 July 2020, a by-election in Eden-Monaro (NSW) saw the retired Labor MP Mike Kelly replaced by Kristy McBain (ALP).
- On 4 July 2020, a by-election in Groom (Qld) saw the retired LNP MP Dr John McVeigh replaced by Garth Hamilton (LNP).
- On 24 February 2021, Craig Kelly MP (NSW) resigned from the Liberal Party to sit on the crossbench as an independent.
|Coalition||Labor||Greens||One Nation||Centre Alliance||Jacki Lambie Network||Independents|
- In February 2017, Senator Cory Bernardi (SA) resigned from the Liberal Party to form the Australian Conservatives party. Following the 2019 election that party was deregistered at the Senator’s request by the AEC on 25 June 2019. Senator Bernardi continued to sit as an Independent.
- On 16 August 2019 Senator Mitchell Fifield (Vic) resigned and, on the 12 September 2019 Hon. Sarah Henderson was sworn in to replace him.
- On 11 November 2019 Senator Arthur Sinodinos (NSW) resigned and, on the 25 November 2019 Jim Molan, AO, DSC was sworn in to replace him.
- On 20 January 2020, Cory Bernardi (SA) resigned from the Senate. As he was originally elected as a Liberal Party representative, his replacement needed to come from that party. On 6 February 2020, Andrew McLachlan was appointed to fill the casual vacancy.
- On 10 August 2020, Senator Rex Patrick (SA) announced that he will represent South Australia as an independent senator.
- On 26 August, Senator Richard di Natali (Vic) resigned and, on 6 October 2020, Senator Lidia Thorpe was sworn in to replace him.
- On 6 November 2020, Senator Mathias Cormann (WA) resigned and, on 25 November 2020 Senator Ben Small was sworn in to replace him.
- On 14 September 2021, Senator Dorinda Cox (WA) was confirmed to fill the casual vacancy left by Greens Senator Rachel Siewert.
- On 21 September 2021, Senator Karen Grogan (SA) was confirmed to replace the late Labor Senator, Alex Gallacher.
- On 24 September 2021, Liberal Senator Scott Ryan (Vic) announced that he will retire prior to the resumption of Parliament on Monday 18 October 2021.
For more information, please contact Hawker Britton consultant Simon Banks on +61 419 638 587